Friday, July 15, 2016

On Market Timing - Part Three

What do we do now?

In the first blog I focused on the perils of short-term market timing. 

In the second I made my case that making 30-year commitments to any asset class is dangerous.  If you are paying for investment management, get it.

My very best (and hard learned) advice is to find how long your cherished financial goals will take and build your strategy around that.

Let’s say your primary investment goal is to make a balloon payment in 18 months.  You could put your money in T-bills or an insured savings account.  You won’t earn much but the check will be ready when needed.

Another strategy (which I don’t recommend) would be to purchase short-term speculative holdings like coffee futures or lottery tickets.  You create an opportunity for higher returns but greatly increase the chance of severe losses.

Investing in long-term holdings like stocks or real estate might not make sense because the year-to-year results are too unpredictable. 

My last chart is from J. P. Morgan showing market returns for stocks and bonds when held for 1, 5, 10 and 20-year time periods.
The green bars show the S&P 500 going back to 1950.  On the far left, returns for any given year have fluctuated wildly.  A lot of those years are below the 0% line.  If you need next year to be a good year, you are market timing.

My domain is further right.  I believe you need a minimum five-year commitment to stock portfolios.  I’m expecting a great year, a terrible year and three somewhere in the middle.  Maybe a market timer can tell you which order that will happen – if it happens at all – but I won’t try.[1]

On the five year bar, we’ve averaged our great and rotten years.  Very few of the five-year holds are below the zero line.  On the ten year bar, the only losing decade was 2001-2010. 

Now let’s say your primary investment objective is to live a comfortable retirement over the next 30 years with a rising income.

Putting more than a couple years’ reserves in savings won’t work.  You can’t even keep up with inflation – much less earn any spending money.

I hope you aren’t thinking about speculating in coffee futures to make balloon payments. 

You have long-term needs.  Have a leisurely cup of coffee and look for long-term strategies – maybe one of those mature green bars.

Remember the little girl and her yo-yo.  You have thirty steps.  What the yo-yo does on any one of them doesn’t really matter. 

It matters to the man who needs a balloon payment in 18 months.

It matters to financial entertainers hawking their products.

It really matters to people who don’t know it doesn’t matter.

But it shouldn’t matter much to you.

That’s it for now.  Thanks for sticking with me for one of my more technical blogs.

If I can help, give me a call, sh

The opinions expressed here are those of Skip Helms and do not necessarily reflect those of LPL Financial or anyone else. It is not possible to determine the top or the bottom of the market. Investing involves risks, including the loss of principal. Past performance does not guarantee future results. Please consider potential transactions carefully and read all appropriate materials before investing or sending money. No strategy, such as asset allocation or diversification assures a profit or protects against loss. Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial, a registered investment advisor. Member FINRA / SIPC





[1] I keep a picture of a Lehman Bros. employee leaving their London headquarters with his personal possessions in a cardboard box.  Whenever I get full of myself and think I know it all, I pull that picture up and remind myself just how humbling this business can be.  sh