Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Visit to OLLI - Part 2

Welcome back.

Last week I re-answered a question I received at the OLLI class at UNC Asheville.  Most of the attendees were people who make their own financial decisions.  Maybe not a brilliant marketing strategy for HelmsWealth but I love talking about finance and usually learn something myself.  We can swap yarns in good fellowship because none of us risks our trust.

Before the bell, I said that investors with full-service financial advisors didn't need to know anything about portfolio mechanics.  Instead, they absolutely must answer these three questions about their advisor:

          1)  Do I like this person?
          2)  Do I trust this person? and
          3)  Will he (or she -- usually he) do what I need?

You need three confident "yes" answers whether you are interviewing a prospective advisor or have known him for 12 years.  If you get all three right, managing the money is his job from them on.

After class, I was asked to expand on that statement.  I’m glad of the opportunity because it comes down to the trust I think is the hallmark of the essential family advisor.

"Trust" and "like" are separate questions for a good reason.  When it comes to money or family, trust is the higher standard. 

President Reagan famously said, "Trust, but verify."  Verifying trust with your financial advisor can be daunting.  But you have to do it.  You are the only one who can.  I can't give you much emotional support from a blog page but I can share some ideas how to start your search.

Investors are between a rock and a hard place.  On one hand, Wall Street sells investments.  Sales incentives can include rewards or pressure depending on how much freedom advisors have to choose what you own.

On the other hand, financial advisors have an ongoing fiduciary duty to place their clients' interests above those of their firm.

How your advisor and his firm handle those competing forces determines where their loyalties lie. 

That’s also the easy (and discreet) place to look for conflicts-of-interest.  If you really want to know where you stand, test the integrity of your advisor's product supply chain.

My personal favorite fiduciary responsibility is maintaining the transparency of the investments in my clients' accounts -- both what they are and how they get there.  We shop hundreds of investment sources using a fee-based platform so none of the vendors have any economic leverage to force their way into the portfolio.

That's crucial because part of that essential duty is to intervene in the product flow when I see strategic threats or opportunities.  As things change, there is always a Plan B without duress from suppliers.

It's not so simple when firm-wide revenues depend on favoring one vendor.  Plan B means a one-sided talk with your boss about being "a team player".  If you distribute for a single-line manager, Plan B means looking for another job.

Let's do some verifying in your best interests:

Start with the low-hanging fruit.  Does your advisor's firm or parent corporation frequently pay huge fines for stealing?  That's a clue. 

Can your advisor only sell (or does he only sell) products or strategies his company manages?  That's another clue – although not a deal-killer if they're competent.

My big red flag is when advisors are paid to keep you on their company's glide-path (last week's blog).  Funds, wrap accounts, annuities – the platform doesn't matter if you are just a dot on the chart.  Managing one big account is more profitable than managing 80,000 little ones.  That doesn't mean it's better for you – or even cheaper.

Case-in-point:  Last week I said I think rigid asset models are a strategic threat for retirees when used instead of on-going vigilance.

I've been wrong before.  Maybe I'm just the only advisor who can't squeeze 6% out of a 3% bond.  Right or wrong, markets create plenty of other dangers without my help.  When I spot one, I can act without someone breathing down my neck.

If you haven't done the 5-minute exercise at the bottom of last week's blog, please do that now.  You need to know your asset allocation before you ask why you have it.

Innocently ask your advisor how he would change your investment strategy if he felt you, his portfolio process or even his firm was on the wrong track.

Then listen.  He has one chance to get this right.

A good answer is that he constantly monitors client portfolios and chooses investments from independent sources without duress.

A bad answer (stated or unavoided) is that he hasn't had any portfolio input since your account was opened.

The bad answer means there is no Plan B if his firm implodes, uses self-serving products or forces him to sell you things you wouldn't touch with rubber gloves. 

They may never happen – but you are trusting him to tell you if they do.

Sometimes I imagine investors embracing these truths and flocking to my door.

That doesn't happen very often.  Trust is deeply personal.  Verifying it can be uncomfortable.  Many investors won't even risk the pain of learning (or finally admitting) their trust has been misplaced.  If they get that far, they have to find somebody new without any idea how to look.

One of the reasons I've made my practice so transparent is to save clients the embarrassment of asking if I'm honest.  I explain how I handle those conflicts-of-interest early in the conversation so they always know it's OK to hold me accountable.  If you advisor has earned your trust, he won’t mind either.

Find the courage to verify the trust your advisor must earn every day.  It makes everything better.  You may even like him more.  sh

PS-  Or just come see me!  

The opinions expressed here are those of Skip Helms and do not necessarily reflect those of LPL Financial or anyone else. Investing involves risks, including the loss of principal. Securities offered through LPL Financial, Member FINRA/SIPC. OLLI, Helms Wealth Management, and LPL Financial are separate entities.